1940s to 1960s
Specialised Vibrated Concrete Company (SVC) was founded in 1948 by RM ‘Max’ Finlason, Bill Kellett and John Bing. The company was initially based in Little Leichardt Street, Melbourne – an agency company supplying building materials and products which were in short supply after the war. SVC soon relocated to the Hoffman Brick & Pottery Works site in West Brunswick, and commenced manufacture of a range of precast products including wash troughs, shower trays, pig slats and building stumps.
In 1954, SVC Company purchased 42 acres of the Mayfield Estate from racehorse owner John Ewart (Jack) Bond and proceeded to construct new factories on the land. The address of 38 Japaddy Street, Mordialloc became SVC’s headquarters and SVC began to produce bridge beams and other structural elements. In 1956, the first long-line pre-stressed concrete beds in Victoria were manufactured at this site. Notable projects during this era included building panels for Monash University’s Menzies building, pedestrian footbridges over King’s Way and Nepean Highway and concrete seating plats for the Southern Stand of the MCG.
1970s & 1980s
In 1975, John Bing and Company – the manufacturing arm of SVC Company – was renamed to SVC Products Pty Ltd, and Bruce Bowditch was appointed Managing Director. The company purchased its first computer in 1981, and the use of CAD software was later brought into the business.
By the 1980s, SVC had continually expanded its product portfolio, producing custom pieces such as wall panels, shelf-angle lintels and stair treads. More products were introduced to the range, including cast iron products, stormwater pits and kerbing units for the City of Melbourne.
1990s & 2000s
It was finally time for SVC to relinquish its switchboard telephone system, and the company began to use push-button phones in the 1990s.
In 1996, Max Finlason retired as Chairman after 48 years in the business, succeeded by his daughter Jane Lacey who remains Chairman to this day.
In the 2000s, SVC Products increased its capacity to produce more artistic products for architectural landscape and civil applications. Manufacturing of fibreglass products commenced, leading to the introduction of SVC’s GridLite lightweight pit cover range. Notable SVC projects during this time include thousands of paving units for the construction of Federation Square, and pavers for new courtyards in the Shrine of Remembrance refurbishment.
SVC launched its first website in 2002, which was produced in-house by an SVC sales representative.
The 2010s saw precast concrete sleepers added to SVC’s product range. Production of landscape and architectural products was well under way, aided by added capabilities in the honing and polishing of concrete surfaces. SVC attained more and more jobs that required bespoke fabrication of concrete items, with notable projects including several charcoal geometric sign bases for Monash University and large format concrete numbers for Collins Street, Docklands.
In 2017, SVC Products underwent a rebrand, updating its corporate identity and making a commitment to continuously improve its products, processes and people. The new logo acknowledges SVC’s rich history, and symbolises forward movement for SVC as the company continues to forge a path of growth.
In May 2017, SVC announced a strategic formal partnership with Anston Architectural, a boutique Melbourne-based manufacturer of premium concrete pavers for the high end residential market. This partnership unlocks a myriad of opportunities for the two specialist companies, as they leverage each other’s expertise to pursue co-innovation and the development of new product offerings for the commercial and urban landscape.
Tomorrow & Beyond
We celebrate our rich, diverse history, and we look forward to writing new chapters to continue SVC’s unwavering spirit and dedication to its customers.