The SVC Group is committed to minimising the impact of our activities on the environment and reducing the wastage of resources. We incorporate various practices into our daily operations in order to reuse, repurpose and recycle as much as we can, while actively seeking ethical sources for the raw materials and products that we use.
Ethical, local sourcing
- All sand and stone materials used in our in-house batching facilities, across two plants, are sourced from local quarries.
- All paver mixes are composed of a minimum of 12% slag, a waste by-product of steel production.
- From September to May each year, all mixes for the grey concrete products manufactured at our largest production facility are made with a blended cement that includes 20% slag and 10% fly ash, which is a waste by-product of coal combustion.
Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle
- Timber pallets that are used in product delivery are later collected for reuse.
- All leftover or waste concrete that cannot be used in our factories is sent to a local concrete screening plant to be crushed and recycled.
- Scrap metal and steel offcuts from production are sent for recycling at a local steel manufacturing company.
- Our hand-blasting process involves the use of recycled glass. Our automated shot-blasting machine recycles the shot used in the process, allowing five times as much product to be blasted using the same amount of shot.
- Rather than disposing of the products we supply for trade shows and expos, we try to repurpose products for secondary use where possible, extending the products’ lifespan.
- Our main factory branch utilises power generated from solar panels.
- We willingly partake in projects that contribute to the wellbeing of our environment. Recently, we have been involved in the Living Seawalls initiative by Reef Design Lab and the Sydney Institute of Marine Science, which uses concrete habitat panels to reintroduce marine biodiversity into coastal ecosystems that have been negatively impacted by the introduction of manmade structures.